Leadership isn’t about a title. It’s about impact, influence and inspiration.

–Susan Lytle Gilmore, Ph.D., Director of Adult Education, Sacramento City Unified School District

AEP Questions and Answers

This is a collection of questions that are most frequently asked of the AEP Office. They are organized by topic area and will be updated as needed.

Program / Course

Whenever the governing board of a school district, county offices of education, joint powers authority, or community college district that maintains an adult education program (for adults) is unable to maintain the program, school or classes within the district because of the lack of facilities, or its inability to secure a teacher or teachers, the board may with the approval of its respective governing bodies (County Superintendent, College District President, and State Agencies) maintain the school or classes of the district elsewhere than within the district or contract with the governing board of another district for the instruction of students in such a school or classes. (For K-12 districts, the governing bodies would be the county superintendent of schools and the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. For community college districts, it would be governing boards from the affected districts.)

All courses in the seven AEBG program areas must be approved using the existing state agency and local governing board course approval process. There are no exceptions, as all AEBG members must use their respective course approval process.

A course of study in each adult school is subject to the approval of the CDE (EC 51056). The State Superintendent of Public Instruction shall establish course approval criteria and procedures for securing course and program approvals (EC 52506). For course approval, all adult schools are required annually to submit to the CDE a list of titles of classes to be offered in the authorized program areas. The CDE’s approval of the list is required; authorized apportionment course titles are listed in the Adult Education Course Approval System (A-22).

The governing board of every school district shall prepare and keep on file for public inspection the courses of study prescribed for the schools under its jurisdiction (EC 51040). Any revised educational program shall conform to the legal requirements (EC 51041). The governing board of every school district shall evaluate its educational program and shall make revisions, as it deems necessary (EC 51041). Classes for adults shall conform to any course of study and graduation requirements otherwise imposed by law or under the authority of law (EC 52504). A course of study for each adult school shall be prepared under the direction of the governing board of the district maintaining the adult school and shall be subject to approval of the CDE (EC 51056).

Community Colleges
The local curriculum committee approves all noncredit courses and programs. The local curriculum committee conducting the review has been established by the mutual agreement of the college and/or district administration and the academic senate. The committee is either a committee of the academic senate or a committee that includes faculty and is otherwise comprised in a way that is mutually agreeable to the college and/or district administration and academic senate. All courses shall be submitted to the Chancellor’s Office on forms provided by the Chancellor’s Office. A clear description of the course must be published in the general catalog and/or addenda to the catalog and in the college’s schedule.

No. A Career Development and College Preparation (CDCP) program cannot be offered without approval by the Chancellor’s Office, nor may a program that has not been approved by the Chancellor’s Office be referred to as a Certificate of Completion or a Certificate of Competency.

Pursuant to Education Code and California Code of Regulations (CCR) Title 5, all CDCP “enhanced funding” courses and programs must be approved by the Chancellor’s Office, regardless of whether or not the community college is part of an AEBG consortium.

Statutory requirements for CDCP programs are described in the Community College Apportionment and Program Based Funding statutes of the Education Code. Specifically, Section 84750.5 describes CDCP funding requirements and Section 84760.5 sets forth the instructional requirements for program approval.

CCR Title 5 sets forth specific requirements concerning the Chancellor’s Office approval of noncredit curriculum in Sections 58160, 55150, and 55155.

There is no rule or regulations that would prevent a K-12 adult school and a community college from offering the same class or program within the consortium’s region. The k-12 adult school and the community college can offer the same HSE program. But it would be good practice to see what the need is in the region, and strategize together on the best way to offer that program & related services.

I am still looking for regulations among colleges as I think there may be restrictions between community college. But that appears to be for another question.